Wednesday, July 02, 2008

After a month in San Francisco

I would say that it's sunny San Francisco, but it's been mostly cloudy while I've been here.  Why didn't anyone tell me that the city is not perpetually sunny and warm as it appears in all the postcards?

I suppose it's my own fault for not having done the proper due diligence.  As of right now, the jury's still out as to whether I enjoy living out here.  The one big plus so far: Asian food is everywhere, and it's of very decent quality.

Some other observations:
  • There are a lot of Russians, or Russian-speakers here.  It started with four or five Russian-speaking women in the Newark Liberty International terminal, and now every day I can hear Russian being spoken on the street.
  • Walking through Chinatown here is almost exactly like walking through parts of Hong Kong or Taipei.  Everyone is speaking Chinese and people are everywhere.
  • Cost of living here is the same or higher than New York City.  Amazing.  
  • Walking up the hills in the city is not as much fun as I imagined.
One thing is for sure, if I move out here I'm definitely going to need a car.  This ZipCar business isn't cutting it.  

No comments: